Tips for Commercial Kitchen Design and Planning
Now that more and more people are eating out the demand for offering the best restaurant services is at its utmost. Whether you are catering for people after fast food or full restaurant facilities you need to ensure your whole business is running efficiently. This whole process starts and is no more important that in the design of your commercial kitchen.
When planning the design of your kitchen you need to consider the following tips:-
- What sort of restaurant service you are providing e.g. silver plated, a la carte, self service, fast food or self service.
- How much space is available to you to fit all your kitchen equipment? Make sure you have the sufficient space so you can use the best and most cost efficient kitchen apparatus to meet your needs.
- Along with this ensure you set a suitable budget that will ensure the kitchen and staff can be the most productive without spending too much on expensive equipment when cheaper products can do the job just as well.
- Health & Safety. Always ensure that your kitchen is designed so that it meets all the necessary food & hygiene industry standards. For example make sure locations for food preparation and dirty dishes/refuse are always kept apart
- Make sure kitchen equipment is laid out in the most efficient way so that preparation and cooking can be combined together and staff have the correct equipment in close proximity to them for their role and so that they don’t get in each other’s way.
- Ensure you have the correct ventilation and lighting to not only meet the needs of the service but also environmental friendly.
- Make sure your floors are made of the correct material (e.g. non slip) and can be easily cleaned and maintained.
These are just a few tips to help you to design the best commercial kitchen for your business. Whatever you do always carry out an initial risk assessment and bring in the Health & Safety and Environmental experts to advise you.
posted on 12 December, 2014